Saturday, February 05, 2005

Professional Christian

As of a few days ago, I'm the Universe campus director for Ballarat. Although the position is voluntary at the moment, someone has been talking to me about the possibility of doing two days paid ministry at the uni next year, after I've graduated, and someone else says they want to help me get financial supporters.
It would make it a lot easier for me to get by, but there are a couple of things about it that don't really seem right too me.
Firstly, I don't want it to even be possible for me to end up just being 'in the ministry' for money. A related problem is that the students I'm meant to be serving, if they know I'm getting paid, are likely to think that I'm just doing it for the money. And anyway, should I really need to be paid? I should be more concerned with these people because it's necessary, whether I'm paid or not. Really, I should have a normal job, like the people around me.
The other thing is that if I'm being paid, then I have to please the people who're paying me. And I don't think what pleases Christians is always what pleases God.

1 comment:

Digger said...

Yeah i'm hearing ya there man, its something I've always totally struggled with. As somebody who is paid to do ministry-it can very easily feel like a chore and a job-which I hate.

As I explore new options for ministry this year, including some form of congregation plant-I'm becoming increasingly less comfortable with the idea of being paid to do it.

Particulalry when its a model of church that doesn't require a whole lot of organisation and planning etc, i'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable. I'd almost feel like i had to justify my time to people.