Thursday, August 25, 2005

Two stories of Judas

In Matthew's account of the gospel, it says,

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. 'I have sinned,' he said, 'for I have betrayed innocent blood.'
'What is that to us?' they replied. 'That's your responsibility.'
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
(Matthew 27:3-5)
But in Acts, Dr Luke writes,
With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.
(Acts 1:18)
I don't think I totally agree with inerrancy of the scriptures. I definitely think that they're inspired by God, but I still think that leaves room for human ¿errors?. (I'm a bit hesitant about describing them as errors.) In that ↑ case there's obviously two different stories of the same event. I'm pretty sure they can't both be right.

9 comments:

BeckoningChasm said...

The end result of both accounts is the same, though--Judas died pretty unpleasantly.

Tab said...

yes, I belive what Timothy says about all scripture being inspired and useful, but it's DEFINATLY not inerrant! the more I study, the more I find that. Funny thing is, that I think I believe God more in that finding.

Christop said...

Yeah, I came across this today:

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Christop said...

By the way, I've thought this for a while, but have been hesitant about saying so.

John M said...

yes, and on that peice of "scripture" (2 Tim 3:16-17) though this was written when? Before they even compiled the rest of what we call the Bible today, and I dare say none of the "gospels" or other books such as acts may not have even been considered as scripture when Timothy or other books were written.

Christop said...

Revelation had not even been written at that time. I'm not sure that the gospels or Acts had either.

Susan Barnes said...

Thought I look up a couple of commentaries on Acts 1:18 most express the same thoughts. That is that Judas did not buy the field personally but since it was his money that paid for it, in that sense, he was the buyer.

Judas hanged himself, persumably from a tree, the rope broke and his body, probably distended, burst open when it hit the ground. Yuk!

Christop said...

I think I'm mainly reacting against the idea that the English translations (or a particular English translation) of Bible is 100% accurate in a literal, logical sense.

Digger said...

yeah some-well articulated thoughts here mate. i'm definitely with you on this line of thinking-thats the Bible is inspired, but that still leaves room for human inconsistency.