Monday, August 29, 2005

Jesus the Fool?

In their book Beyond Prediction (Raylene from Cornerstone lent it to me while I was up there), John Drane, Ross Clifford and Philip Johnson explain the Jewish and Christian symbolism of the Tarot.
Their interpretation of the Fool card ↓, the most powerful in the deck, is that it represents Messiah, Jesus.

He seems as though he's about to walk off a cliff, which seems like a pretty foolish thing to do. However, this may be because he is not subject, but master to the laws that we take for granted, and doesn't fear gravity. Perhaps he only appears to be a fool because he bases his behaviour on different assumptions.

As I've been going over the gospels again, I think I've been coming to understand this interpretation better. It seems that Jesus talked a lot in riddles. Sure, we normally call them parables, but essentially I think they're riddles, and most people didn't get them right away. Here's an example:

Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. He came to Jesus at night and said, 'Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.'
In reply Jesus declared, 'I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.'
'How can a man be born when he is old?' Nicodemus asked. 'Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!'
(John 3:1-4)

4 comments:

Susan Barnes said...

Someone wrote a book called, Jesus the Fool. I think it might have been Michael Frost. Unfortunately I haven't read it, but I have some good reports about it.

Christop said...

Yeah, it's by Michael Frost. I haven't read it either. Looks like it's out of print though.

Tab said...

Yeah thats cos "christian" bookshops wouldn't stock a book with that title.

Christop said...

Christian bookshops. Argh.