Monday, August 01, 2005

'If anyone adds anything to them...'

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)
I've always presumed that John was warning against adding to or taking away from that particular book, Revelation, seeing as the Bible didn't exist at that stage. He appears (to me) to be speaking specifically about the book he's about to finsih writing. However, I was talking to someone the other day who reckons John is warning against adding new books to the canon, or taking books out. What do you think?

4 comments:

Tab said...

OK, I was always told that meant the bible. But it COULDN'T have, I'm sure - b/c like you aluded to, the bible didn't exist until at least 350 ad, and even then it was widley disputed as to what should be in it.

A couple of years ago I decided that it meant Revalation - I spose I could be wrong, but u've got to take history into account here.

Digger said...

Yeah somebody once told me that it was the Bible-but i think they were just some fundamentalist trying to shore up more evidence for their view of the authority of the Bible.

But yeah, seeing as how the bible didn't exist as we know it for another 300 years, it's gotta be talking about revelation.

Taqwa said...

I dont think there are enough cannons around.

*nod*

Not that has anything to do at all with the bible

Christop said...

There most certainly aren't. We should tell Johnny.