Sunday, January 14, 2007

Brian Houston on poverty

I got a text message on Friday from John, saying that he'd been channel surfing, and come across Brian Houston (the main pastor at Hillsong in Sydney) talking about poverty. I thought it might be interesting, seeing as they've gotten a lot of criticism regarding their emphasis on individual prosperity. So this afternoon I checked out their podcast - you can find it here, if you have iTunes. I managed to find a sermon that Brian gave at the Hillsong conference in London last year about the Make Poverty History campaign and about why Moses and Jesus both said that there will always be poverty (Deuteronomy 15:11, Matthew 26:11). Although he seems to say at one point that you need to be rich to help the poor (I may be misinterpreting him), he does say a lot of good stuff about the church's responsibility to help the poor.

No comments: