Saturday, August 25, 2007

Today I went out to the retreat centre at Gembrook again, this time with Gin and Alfred. (They have a big work day out there once a month, so we were going to help.)

In the morning finshed off digging up the concrete tiles from the property's original house, and I found a whole heap of little ceramic tiles. They look like they're from a bathroom. I might use them in some artwork at some stage.

We also dismantled a shed that had collapsed, so the materials can be reused, and then we all had lunch together.
After lunch a butcher came to kill a sheep they had there. I was a fair way away when he actually cut its throat, because I was with Alfred cutting some Protea flowers to take back to Credo. I went over once we'd cut the flowers, and before we headed back to Melbourne I helped them hoist the sheep up in a tree, so that the blood would drain.

I generally don't eat meat, largely because I don't think the way we produce meat is sustainable (for example, it takes a lot more water to produce meat than vegetables), or that the way we consume it is very healthy. These days we're able to produce so much meat that most people in our society have meat every day, something we wouldn't be able to do if we were producing our food locally. I also think we need to have a better awareness of where our food is coming from and how it's produced.

No comments: