Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Art and stuff

This morning I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, and saw some stuff from the 2006 Biennale of Sydney and Bangu Yilbara, an exhibition of contemporary indigenous art.
Had a falafel roll for lunch at Circular Quay. (Last night, on the phone, Dad asked if I'd been to Circular Quay yet, because when he went there a pigeon crapped on him. He also said that the roads here were designed by the cattle from the First Fleet.)
In the afternoon I had a look at some exhibitions at Customs House, one about this architect called Harry Seidler who designed a whole heap of buildings around Sydney, and one about this laneway called Rowe Street. I've barely noticed any laneways in Sydney. (Maybe the lack of laneways is why there's not much street art?) Apparently Rowe Street was a really nice little laneway, but they demolished it. I miss Melbourne's laneways.
Also went to the Art Gallery of New South Wales, to look at more of the 2006 Biennale of Sydney. In their permenant collection they also had a heap of great stuff by Arthur Boyd, Sidney Nolan, Albert Tucker and Russell Drysdale. There was a screening of This Sporting Life, a British New Wave film about a violent rugby player and his relationship with his landlady. Was pretty full on, particularly considering when it was filmed. After the film I went to St Mary's Cathedral to pray for a while, and then I went back to the backpackers.
Hadn't been back here long when Craig called me and said, 'We're in Chinatown. Where the crap are ya?' So I told him where I was and met Craig and Ted outside and we walked the streets for a bit. Ted said that no-one from Sydney actually uses the tram, but that at least I haven't used the monorail, because that would be really touristy.
Tomorrow I think I'm going to head out to Paddington. Apparently there's a lot of little art galleries out there.

No comments: