Saturday, September 17, 2005

The voice of God

Thursday night, Shaun, one of the guys at the writers group, was talking about one of his regular customers who talks a lot about his Christian beliefs. Whenever Shaun asks this guy how he knows any of the stuff he believes, apparently this guy just says, 'Because God tells me.'

But that's not exactly what I want to blog about. I probably won't be able to blog about what I want to blog about, because it's not very coherent.
Anyway, I might have been thinking about how one hears God's voice.
There is an artcile here at Internet Monk about such things. And I'm not necessarily asking, 'How does one hear God's voice?'
What I'm thinking is something like: Surely if God says something to someone, that person is going to know it. I can't really imagine God saying, 'Damn, they didn't get it. I'll have to speak louder.'

Here endeth the incoherency.
Perhaps.

3 comments:

Susan Barnes said...

It seems to be that Shaun wouldn't find this answer particularly helpful. I know I wouldn't.

In my perception of God, which may or may not be accurate, I find it hard to imagine that God would not have something to say to those who are His children. Meaning that God is (constantly?) talking to me but often I miss it or I am too busy doing my own thing to notice.

There was that monk who wrote about practicing the Presence of God, he use to talk to God while doing his mundane duties like washing the dishes. I don't know that he actually "heard" God speak back, but certainly he sensed God's Presence communicating His love to him.

Taqwa said...

These days, if you talk to god, you are praying, if god talks to you, your a loony :D


I loved that.. seems to fit there (for some odd reason)

Christop said...

Susan: It's Brother Lawrence.

Taqwa: Yeah, if someone said they heard a voice in their head, and it was God I'd probably think they needed to see a doctor. But I'mwondering if God might speakto someone through a mental illness? A lot of the prophets in the Tanakh don't seem too mentally healthy.