Wednesday, July 20, 2005

TERUWAH!


Picture: Return of the King

One word Paul uses to describe the fruit of the Holy Spirit is 'joy'.
One of the Hebrew words that we translate into 'joy' is 'teruwah', which is a battlecry. It's used to describe the sense of jubilation in battle:

When they make a long blast with the ram's horn and you hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout [teruwah]; and the wall of the enclosure shall fall down in its place and the people shall go up [over it], every man straight before him.
Joshua 6:5
So the people shouted, and the trumpets were blown. When the people heard the sound of the trumpet, they raised a great shout [teruwah], and [Jericho's] wall fell down in its place, so that the [Israelites] went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
Joshua 6:20
Upon what were the foundations of it fastened, or who laid its cornerstone,
When the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy [teruwah]?
Job 38:6-7
And when the ark of the covenant of the Lord came into the camp, all Israel shouted with a great shout [teruwah], so that the earth resounded.
And when the Philistines heard the noise of the shout, they said, What does this great shout [teruwah] in the camp of the Hebrews mean? When they understood that the ark of the Lord had come into the camp,
The Philistines were afraid, for they said, God has come into the camp. And they said, Woe to us! For such a thing has not happened before.
1 Samuel 4:5-7
And now shall my head be lifted up above my enemies round about me; in His tent I will offer sacrifices and shouting of joy [teruwah]; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.
Psalm 27:6
I realised that I've been getting sick of the spiritual battle (parituclarly against my own sexual lust) and fed up with it. Need to get back into fighting joyfully.

3 comments:

kelgell said...

That's interesting Christop. I'm finding that I'm less fearful lately and more joyous. I think perhaps it's come from realising that God dwells in us and all we need is right here inside us. Hope you can keep fighting strong and rejoicing in God's greatness and victory.

Trav said...

Good on ya for saying so. I like the idea of a battle cry. TeruWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Tera said...

That's my name Teruwah. Don't wear it out. No really.