Monday, July 25, 2005

Solomon's request for wisdom

Last night I started reading 2 Chronicles.
What stood out to me in the first chapter was that YHWH was pleased with King Solomon's request for wisdom because he wanted it in order to serve his people well, not so he could become rich and famous or whatever.

God said to Solomon, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. (2 Chronicles 1:11-12)
Previously I'd gotten the impression that Solomon had had asked for the right thing, but now it seems more like he had the right motive.

2 comments:

Trav said...

OHHHH! i think you've hit on something there...i like it.

Kitty Cheng said...

i agree that the right motive is essential!