Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rehoboam

A couple of days ago I read 2 Chronicles 10, which is about Israel's rebellion against King Rehoboam. The people had asked him to reduce the heavy taxes Solomon had introduced. However, Rehoboam said,

My father made your yoke heavy; I will make it even heavier. My father scourged you with whips; I will scourge you with scorpions. (2 Chronicles 10:14)
It seems kind of like he's treating them just like their ancestors were treated in Egypt, when they were slaves:
Afterwards Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, 'This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: "Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the desert."' (Exodus 5:1)

That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and foremen in charge of the people: 'You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don't reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, "Let us go and sacrifice to our God." Make the work harder for the men so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies.' (Exodus 5:6-9)
Because Rohoboam wouldn't reduce the taxes, all the tribes of Israel, except for Judah, rebelled against Rehoboam, and made Jeroboam their king.

No comments: