Thursday, November 30, 2006

Isolate yourself

Isolate yourself
Saw this on the way back from the market this morning. Reminded me of a discussion I was involved in recently, where someone was talking about her brother being given a portable DVD player for Christmas, and how that encouraged him to spend less time with other people.
It's going pretty crazy in the city now, because it's getting close to Christmas. There's fake stars everywhere. (You often can't see the real ones around here at night, because of air and light pollution.)
Stars
Noticed that some of the Christmas advertising is encouraging isolation too:

6 comments:

Trav said...

That's why i dont like movies a real lot

Christop said...

Yeah, I think that's partly because we tend not to discuss the meanings of movies (or TV, music, et cetera), because 'it's just entertainment'. That is why I reckon it should be okay to talk through movies. We talked a fair bit during the movie we watched last night. (It was a pretty awful movie, and I knew iit was going to be, but Nathan wanted to watch it. It was She's All That.)

Electric Chikken said...

I think it's fair to say She's All That is 'just entertainment'. Heh, heh.

But I totally discuss movies with people. I do it to the point where it gets annoying for the people around me.

Christop said...

Yeah, but if we say, 'It's just entertainment, therefore we shouldn't discuss it,' then we don't reflect on the validity of what the film has shown and told us.

Stephen Said said...

Hey, you have four blogs against your profile and I am not sure which one to read regularly. Can you help? Also, wondering if you might be interested in writing occassionally for Tear's youth/young adult site. You can find it at http://advoc8.tear.org.au

Drop me a line and let me know what you reckon. I like some of your image work and your spin. I reckon others might find it helpful too.

Catch...

Christop said...

Yeah Steve, thsi is the only blog I've updated it a while, so I should remove the others from my profile. Will get back to you in a sec.