Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Backyard Camp

Tab has been on Desert Camp. Saturday night I had my own survival camp in the backyard.

John dropped me off at our hosue at about 1 am. We (me, John and Kelly) had been to visit John's friend's church in Geelong. I realised when I got to the door that I couldn't find my keys, and Alt Tab was out.

There were no clouds, so it was extremely cold, even though it had been a warm day.

Unfortunatley I couldn't break in. I've broken in before by taking the screen off the kitchen window and opening it, but that time it wasn't closed properly.

Luckily I had left my stereo outside, so I put Triple J on, and listened to Dave MCCormack (Dave Callan was on holidays) play some ... interesting ... and quite good music on The Graveyard Shift.

I found a couple of ways to keep warm, but neither of them were very good. One was to cup my hands around the lightbulb in the laundry (our laundry is seperate to the rest of the house). The other way was to put my hands in the steam that came out of the hot water system when it heated up. However, neither of these methods of getting warm was particularly good.

So I decided to make a fire. I found an old bowl in the laundry, and there were a lot of dead leaves around, so I put a heap of dead leaves and some bank receipts from my wallet in the bowl and used my lighter to start a fire in the bowl. This was quite good, but I had to keep relighting it, because there wasn't any decent fuel, only leaves and paper and cardboard. Because I kept having to use my lighter again and again, and sometimes it took some time to light, the lighter got very hot, and the plastic bits began to melt, until it was no longer a lighter, in that it could not be used to light stuff.

Alt Tab got back at about 5 am (she'd been at 21 Arms) and I had a hot bath.

3 comments:

kelgell said...

So glad to hear you survived. Good on ya for using your noggin. The moral of the story...make sure you have your keys when going out...or at least whether you have them or not before the person dropping you off leaves. Ü

John M said...

and don't assume u will be ok and that Tab will be home soon, well at least you can say u have braved a cold Ballarat night

Christop said...

Ahhh, cold Ballarat nights I have braved many a time, except with warmer clothing.